Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid



I remember reading a beauty book in the late 80's or early 90's that was unlike any other - it seemed to offer practical no nonsense advice, even mentioning common household products that could double as part of a commonsense beauty regimen. I always have remembered that book since I thought the name was great - “Blue Eyeshadow Should be Illegal” and the contents were memorable, seemingly born from the frustration of trying a myriad of products that didn’t deliver on their promises.  It gave me my first exposure to beauty skepticism - the message was that beauty products are typically not going to produce miracles, though there are some formulas and ingredients that are scientifically proven to improve appearance. The rest is all marketing and we WANT to believe it. 

Fast forward, and here I am trying a product from a beauty line created by that book’s author: Paula Begoun, “Cosmetics Cop”.  Turns out she is a nationally recognized consumer expert for the cosmetics industry and has written 20 books.  Her product line is called Paula’s Choice, and it is based on those same principles. From the Paula’s Choice website : “Our products are based on our unique combination of research, reviews, and results-driven product development. Finally, products that really work.”  I like her website, since it seems dedicated to matching people to the right products, even if they are not her own. One can find advice and reviews about a wide variety of products in various categories such as anti aging or sunscreen, and it is organized in a really easy to use way. I could spend hours just reading about products I have used and/or have gathering dust on a bathroom shelf...

On to the review! The product I am trying is Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Skin Perfecting Liquid. This product actually works, and while I have not seen a miracle I have definitely seen improvement.

From the marketing associated with the Paula’s Choice Bzz Agent campaign which sent me a full size product to try:

‘Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid is unlike any other product on the market. While there are many BHA (short for beta hydroxy acid) products available, formulating them at the pH level needed to penetrate pores is extremely difficult. This leave-on exfoliant:

•  Rapidly exfoliates the skin’s surface and inside the pore, reshaping the pore lining, unclogging pores and improving skin cell turnover rate
•  Effective for anti-aging, blackheads, enlarged pores, keratosis pilaris (red bumps on arms and legs), redness, rosacea, wrinkles and acne breakouts
•  Increases collagen production and drastically smooths the surface of skin
• Attacks blemish-causing bacteria at a faster and deeper rate
•  Fades discolorations caused by dark spots and acne marks
•  Effective for anti-aging, blackheads, enlarged pores, keratosis pilaris (red bumps on arms and legs), redness, rosacea, wrinkles and acne breakouts
•  Exfoliates to reveal smoother, firmer, younger-looking skin
•  Calms redness and builds collagen

That’s a ton of promises, but the first two are what I am really hoping for by using this product! (OK, I really would be totally happy just with less giant looking, unclogged pores...)

So how does one start a conversation about one's pores without it turning disgusting? Blackheads, whiteheads, big pores and the suggestion that they are filled with all kinds of bacteria and debris does not make for pleasant reading, so I won’t get into a lot of gruesome detail. Maybe it will suffice to say that I have been a lifelong acne sufferer and my pores are  not in the nicest shape... that is, until I started using the Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid!

I like this product a lot. The recommended application is with a cotton ball or pad, but being naturally frugal that seems like a waste of the liquid which gets thrown out with the pad, so I apply it with clean fingers right after washing my face. It goes on smoothly and clings to the skin. It is a liquid rather than a lotion, so it goes on in a nice thin layer without any rubbing in. Dries quickly, so the rest of the day’s (or night’s) products can be applied. I think the bottle I received will go a long way and as beauty products go, the cost is very reasonable. Best of all, NO ANIMAL TESTING!! Hooray!

If I sound disappointed at all, it’s because I still do have many pores and blackheads, although I can see visible improvement. Perhaps I am not destined to be air-brushed-magazine-ad-pore-free, although I admit I was hoping! I think this product lives up to what Paula’s Choice seems to stand for in general - there are no miracles,  although there are products that do contribute to better, more beautiful skin. I also really like the whole Paula’s Choice website. The information there is really well organized and easy to find. Products are arranged by category in easy to compare table form, with columns for effectiveness, price and other factors. It’s  a great place to go for information in general, and I think the product line is of good quality and reasonably priced.

No comments:

Post a Comment