Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Burt's Bees Lip Products

The most fun reviews are for beauty products! I was thrilled to get samples of Burt's Bees lip products from Pop Sugar Sample Squad and eager to try the new formulas. I have been a Burt's Bees fan for a while - who doesn't like high quality, natural products, mostly free of scary chemicals? Best of all, NO animal testing! Perfect. I admit I am biased before I even start reviewing.

I received two kinds of lip product - Lip Shine in "Pucker" and Tinted Lip Balm in "Sweet Violet". Both are excellent choices.

The Lip Shine is a red looking gloss in a tube. Right away, I liked the lid that is tamper - proof. It has that breakable ring like on a milk jug, so you could tell if someone had used the product before you. That being said, it was also in a blister type package which may be a more recent development. (?) I remember seeing Burt's Bees products in my local health food co-op with very little in the way of packaging at all. The glosses would be stored in a free standing display with testers. I know Burt's Bees is carried in drugstore settings as well, so perhaps more packaging is needed. In any case, I was 100% confident the lip shine was unused...

It is dispensed with a slant tip top for gliding on the lips. I found the gloss to be a nice consistency - it is smooth and surprisingly not sticky. The ingredients for softening are apricot wax and sunflower seed oil.... yummy! It actually does have a nice, sweetish flavor and seems to last a while. It's the nature of the product that gloss shines like this are not typically long lasting and I re-apply often. The tube makes it very convenient for a pocket or purse.I was pleased that the red color was not too bright or heavily pigmented. It is a very sheer wash of color that seems just right.

The Tinted Lip Balm starts out in wonderful packaging that elevates the lowly lip balm (think Chap Stick on the gas station counter near the register) into a lovely gift to yourself. The package is a neat cardboard tube that shows the name and color against a dark background. I was excited just opening it up! Inside, the plastic tube is the universal lip balm tube, but no matter, the first impression has been made. The tube is a practical design that works and makes it easy to stick your balm in a pocket when you are heading out for a walk. The violet color was most likely not the one I would have chosen for myself, but I was pleasantly surprised that I could actually wear it. Like the Shine Gloss, it turns into a sheer color when applied.

This balm feels smooth and protective, not waxy. The moisturizing ingredient is Shea Butter, with lots of other botanicals in the signature Burt's Bees style. It is also available in 9 colors, more of which I am sure to try. I was happy that these formulas were also both free of shimmer- I like glitz, but sometimes gloss is better served plain. Some of them wind up looking too frosty for my taste. I was really happy to be able to try these products, and I was not disappointed - I still love Burt's Bees!

No comments:

Post a Comment