Thursday, September 5, 2013

Kashi™ Hummus Crisps

In the interest of full disclosure, let me first say that I am a HUGE Kashi fan... I really love the cereals this company makes. Several years ago, I decided to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from my family’s diet. When I made this change, I really didn’t realize how difficult it would be. The stuff is EVERYWHERE and it takes a lot of label reading to stick with the plan. Well, I have come to know brands that are committed to healthy, good quality food and Kashi is one of them. My family has eliminated 90% of the cereals we used to eat... Kashi is one of the brands we turn to for consistently great cereal that fits our standards.

So that being said, I was really anxious to try Kashi™ Hummus Crisps... I love hummus, I love chips, seems like a marriage made in heaven!  Well, I wasn’t wrong. I tried a bag of the Sea Salt & Olive Oil flavor crisps - I was sent a bag by Bzz Agent to try them for free, and they are delish! The crisps seem light  (the bag says: ”deliciously popped”) but I think they would hold up to dip. They have a nice crunch and a completely different taste. All that and no High Fructose Corn Syrup!

I was happy to note the Nutrition Facts on the label: only 3.5 grams of fat for 3 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber. Pretty good stats for a salty snack food. OK, so what’s the catch? Even the serving size is a generous 27  (Ritz cracker sized) crisps, not the usual skimpy serving size no one pays any attention to. I noticed that the serving size really IS about the right size for a serving for me to feel satisfied with the snack. The bag has about 3.5 servings in it and without trying, I did munch on  the chips 4 times before the bag was sadly empty. I do admit, I thought the bag looked a bit small when I first saw it. (4 oz.) It seemed about half the size of an ordinary bag of chips. I don’t know if that will work against the product, but great quality is better than quantity.  I was completely satisfied though.

Guess I should say something about the taste of this snack. The flavor is great - I can tell that there are a variety of seasonings besides salt used in the flavor I tried, although there is a nice saltiness.   They don’t taste exactly like hummus, but I can taste a chickpea influence. Taste is so subjective,  but I can say unequivocally that I think they are great. Going to use my additional coupons to get some more! Great job, Kashi. This is a wonderful addition to your line of products.

No comments:

Post a Comment