Friday, March 27, 2015

YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils


I was so thrilled to be chosen by Influenster to test and review a recently reissued classic by YSL: Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils or "False Lash Effect" mascara. Influenster asks their testers to post honest reviews of the product, and I did so on the YSL website. I had tried the mascara, and mostly loved it. The packaging is simply beautiful - a gorgeous metal case of gold and rose gold tones that conjures up images of jewelry or high end cosmetics. The mascara goes on as you would expect a mascara billed as "false lashes" would - highly buildable, yet soft and not spidery or spiky. I was given a classic black mascara to try, but I love the modern touch of the brand making other colors available. It's a great touch of modernity to a classic.

Perfect, right?

Well, as I was looking over my 5 star review later, I remembered the part about the smudging... this mascara did smudge. I mentioned as much in the review, but then I thought, "wait a minute, why did I give it 5 stars?" Was I seduced by the beautiful package? The excellent look and feel of my lashes? The feeling of being able to go from work to play without re-applying? Smudging is normally a deal breaker for me. There's nothing like seeing your raccoon eyes in a mirror and wondering how long they have been that way... While I was talking to my boss? While I was flirting with that cute Fed Ex guy? You get the point. It's pointless to invest in a mascara that you can't depend on to stay put. So I decided to try again, and this is what I found.

The day of the smudging incident, I had put on sunscreen, serum and facial moisturizer and I applied the mascara soon after. It occurred to me that my skin products just hadn't had time to soak in, so I made sure I did my creams and skin potions first and then did my hair and then the rest of it before putting on the YSL Faux Cils. What a difference. No smudging, all day. I am happy to report that the mascara stayed put, justifying my original  score. I probably would not expect the same results after a strenuous bike ride in 90 degree weather, but for work it's perfectly great.

Glad I revisited the performance of this product. Definitely worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment