Sunday, March 15, 2015

Charles Viancin Hibiscus Silicone Lid

I really love writing about products that have exceeded my expectations. Seems like most new things I try are adequate, but not fantastic. Another thing I love is a good kitchen gadget. These two happy things come together in the Charles Viancin line of botanically themed silicone lids.

I borrowed the following from a retail listing for this product. I'm sure it comes right from the product packaging:


Charles Viancin is a French designer who in many of his products combines elements of nature, like flowers and leaves, to create fun, useful and multi-functional items for the kitchen...Designed in France, Charles Viancin silicone products are made with BPA-free, food-grade silicone that is:


Oven safe to 428F
Locks in moisture while storing or cooking
Freezer safe to -40F
Microwave Safe
Dishwasher Safe

I bought an 9" lid in a lovely pink Hibiscus shape.

The look of this product is so unique and fun, it had me from the start. Then I read the details and realized I needed to try it - BPA free? Love that... Dishwasher safe? Love THAT. 

I got the second largest size thinking that I would most likely be using the lid for covering large salad bowls and the like. It really does seal to the bowl like plastic wrap, without the frustration of the classic plastic wrap box/ serrated blade dispenser and the single use mentality. Using this lid is like making Tupperware out of any bowl in your cabinet. 

The other reason I love this lid is that it's great for covering food heating in the microwave. I stopped using plastic wrap long ago because of the dangers of chemicals from the wrap leaching into the food. I use either glass or wax paper to prevent splattering. The lid is an easy thing to grab and put on for reheating that bowl of soup and again, it's reusable.

Overall, I love this product! I would like to have the whole set - there are different sizes available from 4" wide to 11"w. There are many beautiful botanics to choose from; the bamboo set has a 10x13 rectangular size that would be good for a brownie pan. With so many pretty and fun images to choose from, I might find it hard to pick just one. Pumpkin blossoms, snowflakes and butterfly shapes make wonderful seasonal designs. The only thing stopping me from acquiring every size is the somewhat high price point of these lids. There are plain lids available in silicone that most likely have the same functionality but just aren't as novel or attractive. I'm going to watch for sales...

Available online and in kitchen stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment